Sunday, December 07, 2008

This one goes out to the knitters....

What does one do with unfinished knitting projects? I am a shitty knitter. It is not my medium. I need a sewing machine or something with a motor to drive me to the finish line. The meditative click click of the knitting needles doesn't work for me. I get fed up and throw the whole project to the side. I have a large box in my basement labelled "Unfinished knitting projects to do in your retirement"...A friend of mine wrote that on the box when I was moving.

Here are some of the unfinished projects:
1) A baby blanket in lovely white and yellow cotton yarn. The "baby" this blanket was intended for is now a smoking/swearing teenager.
2) A throw in autumn colours, also in cotton yarn. This one is almost finished. One of the problems is I lost the pattern. I have no idea how to finish the thing. I worked many many hours on this project, one dark and desperate winter years ago.
3) A red mohair scarf. This one was intended for a former mother-in-law. It never got cast off, unlike the relationship.
4) A brownish orange sweater. I didn't get very far on this one. Nice pattern, though. I think I still have it.
5) A blue wool sock. I never managed to turn the heel. This was the obstacle.

Despite all of these failures, I've started a new scarf. Already, I'm hating it! The wool is beautiful alpaca. There is no reason why I should be hating this so much. Why do I keep coming back to knitting when I hate it? What do I do with all of these unfinished projects?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here you go, Aggie.

Harmony said...

Aggie...listen to your heart. You hate knitting because you'd much rather be romping with a nice, young waiter.

David Scrimshaw said...

I bet with a bit of sewing you could turn these things into monster puppets.

Aggie said...

So what I'm hearing is..... don't beat yourself up -- this is performance art potential!

Woodsy said...

I know how to turn a heel, but you could just sew up one end of the sock, and give it to the Shaggy Waiter as a penis warmer.

aandjblog said...

you can knit at this party:

You have been invited to The 1st Annual Ottawa Blogger Virtual Christmas Party!

This virtual event is taking place on December 16th 2008.

For more information on this event, please visit the http://pleasepickupyoursocks.wordpress.com blog.

We hope to see you there!

A & J

Anonymous said...

I hate knitting and everything that seems like knitting. No patience. No talent. I DO like knitted stuff, though. Maybe you could channel your creative energies to something that isn't quite so Zen