Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Lying for the Story

A work friend today told me that she believes that an extremely high-ranking person (EHRP) in our organization lies regularly during her public addresses because she needs a good story. According to my work friend, she tells witty lies for the purpose of entertaining her underlings. When my work friend mentioned this today, it rang true. It rang true because EHRP's stories don't really ring true. The reason they don't ring true is because in these stories, EHRP just happens to be present when a famous person is around and she just happens to witness the famous person saying or doing something witty. So, there is name-dropping going on, too. I was so distracted by the name-dropping, that I didn't notice the lying. But when the lying was pointed out to me, I got it. There is no word for name-dropping and lying at the same time, is there?

6 comments:

Woodsy said...

It reminds me of a great joke my Papa used to tell me... it involves the phrase,"That's fantastic..." I will tell it to you as soon as I have a moment...

Anonymous said...

Hmm, sounds like this person needs to get a more exciting life, so they don't lie and 'name drop' all the time. You can weave a good yarn without doing either.:)

Aggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aggie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aggie said...

I think you may have nailed it right there, Hannah...

Anonymous said...

l.o.s.e.r. comes to mind.