Sunday, March 15, 2009

Alain Bashung, December 1, 1947 - March 14, 2009

Alain Bashung, one of France's great singer/songwriters just died at the age of 61. I discovered Bashung a few years ago through dischevelled man, and immediately fell in love with him. He is Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, all in one beautiful French package. Bashung was touring right up until the time he died of lung cancer. I was hoping to get a chance to see him. I have his latest CD, Bleu Petrole, which features the heartbreaking, "Resident de la Republique".

I'm a huge fan of Bashung's old stuff, too. If you want to buy one Bashung CD (besides his latest), I recommend "Osez Josephine". Here is a video of the title track. I'm playing it right now.

His first big hit, Gaby Oh! Gaby, will transport you back to the 80s.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of him, but I'll be sure to give him a listen. I like some French music.:)