Saturday, September 19, 2009

How to Sell Art in Ottawa and 2 Musicians I Like

1) Today I discovered the key to selling art in Ottawa. You may not like this, but this is a little sad reality I witnessed today at the Old Ottawa South Art in the Park.
So here it is: find a well-heeled white-haired woman with alcohol on her breath. She will spend. Believe me. She will spend. And she'll say things like, "My kids are going to kill me." I watched an artist navigate this situation very very carefully and ended up making a lot of money.

2) DM pointed out today that I like an anglo musician who writes very much like a francophone musician I also like. Both are pretty rough writers, and both have moments of fucking brilliance. The anglo musician is Dan Reeder, who has lines like this: "I don't really want to talk to you/But my business requires that I do." Who can't relate to that? He also has a song entitled "I drink beer", which I appreciate as a song title.

3) The francophone musician is Cayouche. He is ugly. He has a big ugly growth on his face, and apparently smells in person. But he is brilliant. My favourite song of his is -- my translation in English -- "You broke the chain on my tractor". Some other great lines in the song are (my translation):
You don't want to castrate the horses anymore
You don't look after the pig.
You say you want to go to Montreal.
Take your bags and get the fuck out of here.


You can watch Cayouche in action here.

6 comments:

Woodsy said...

Who's DM and what did you do with DW?

Aggie said...

Sometimes I like to call DW just plain old DM

Milan said...

It's a shame not many "well-heeled white-haired women with alcohol on their breath" frequent Raw Sugar.

Aggie said...

Well there is one unheeled one who is planning to make her way down to R.S. before the exhibition ends.
Maybe you need to hang out in the Glebe, Ottawa South area?

Anonymous said...

I want to BE a well-heeled white-haired woman with alcohol on my breath. Is there a course I could take?

Milan said...

There are three days left in the exhibition, and the remaining prints are very good deals. Consider acting on it, or passing along the word.

Thanks.