Thursday, May 24, 2007

Baby poop on blogs

Yesterday, I received a delightful email from an associate about the birth of his daughter. However, the happy e-birth announcement contained a link to the dreaded baby blog -- actually, the mommy blog. It contained fascinating accounts of the baby's facial expressions as she poops. I have some advice and questions for all those parent bloggers out there:

1) Other people's baby's poop is not interesting reading. I'm interested in my own poop, and my cat's poop. Beyond that, I'm not really interested in poop. I recommend that poop discussions stick close to home.
2) Infant behaviour is not that interesting. Start blogging when the babe starts developing more. Put the infant stuff in a BABY BOOK, if you must. Remember those books? Those things your mom stuck a little lock of your hair in? Or, perhaps there was no account of your babyhood anywhere...
3) Imagine your baby as a teenager, reading your blog. How would she/he feel? Think about it.
4) Imagine your baby as an adult on a therapist's couch with his/her laptop, referring to your blog. Imagine the therapist saying, "Yes, clearly, this is where it all started."
5) Readers of parent blogs tend to be more interested in how the parents are doing. So--how are you doing?

4 comments:

Harmony said...

Hey, since you asked, Aggie, I'm doing just fine! Although, for some strange reason, after reading your latest post, I feel pooped out...

Apostrophe said...

Even professional bloggers have fallen into the poop trap. Heather Armstrong over at dooce.com went on and on at times about poop and baby and such. That's fine, I guess, but there's other stuff out there -- you gotta mix it up a little!

coyote said...

Well, crap, at least the Dooce is usually witty about it.

But in general, I stand with Aggie on this issue. Fascinating as it may be to new parents, their baby's poop is pretty much the very exact opposite of interesting to the population at large. No matter what colour it is...

Anonymous said...

I used to keep detailed logs of my baby's logs. Fortunately that was before blogs.