Monday, October 20, 2008

Margaret Cho at the NAC + Liam Sullivan

I had the privilege of seeing Margaret Cho at the NAC last night. She's really something. Lots of sex talk which I discovered is a really positive way to start your week. And, the woman can do anything...I mean ANYTHING with a microphone. I was impressed.
Some highlights of the evening:
1) Her rant about Sarah Palin: How much she hates her, and yet how much she'd like to f- her. Nice. I guess we've all thought this? This is what comedians do, right? Tell us what we we've already thought... I hadn't actually thought about bedding Sarah Palin until she put it in my mind. It's now in my fantasy repertoire. Thanks, Margaret!
2) Her key to a successful marriage: F* as many people as you can. It takes a village to.... You get the picture. I'm not married, but I'm not convinced. I agree with the village part, but do we really need to screw them all? But, again, thanks for putting the ideas in my head!
3) Her declaration: "I'm not a lesbian; I'm not BI; I'm 'I'" This reminded me of how important Margaret Cho is breaking down some of those limiting identity politics. Thanks again, Margaret, for the liberation.

What I missed in the show was the subtlety and depth of Canada's own, Sandra Shamas. I missed her storytelling ability. Margaret Cho's show is more of an ADD manic sex show. Sandra Shamas somehow balances things off. She may be more on the depressive side of comedy, which makes her more appealing to me. I hope she comes back.

Back to the highlights, though. Kelly Liam Sullivan was the opening act, and he is just brilliant. Definitely inspiration for Astronaut Love Triangle. Apparently, this video has gone viral. I thought I was in touch with everything viral, but I guess not. Kelly Liam Sullivan is a genius. This one is worth checking out, too. Am I the only one who hasn't seen these?

2 comments:

4th Dwarf said...

Actually, Aggie, speaking as one of the villagers, I'm not quite clear on what we're supposed to do according to #2.

Aggie said...

I figured that one would confuse you.