OK. Here's a nice pre-Valentine's Day topic: winter break-ups. Lately, I've heard about what seems like a lot of folks either separating or in the palliative care stage of the relationship. When I hear about this, I think to myself, "Wow, these folks managed to muster up the energy to break up during a long, cold, Ottawa winter...with the bus strike and everything!" I have a lot of admiration for these people because, despite all these obstacles, they have the energy and the courage to make a move, throw themselves into transition, uncertainty, grief, etc...Kudos to all of you for breaking up right now! I know there is the well-documentedFish or Cut Bait Day, but, even so...breaking up in winter is damn hard. I couldn't do it. I'll hunker down in any old crappy relationship just to survive the damn winter.
So, to all you winter break-up folks, screw Valentine's Day! My roses go to you.
6 comments:
Seconds after writing this post, I hear from two friends that they JUST got married. So, I guess it's not all about break-ups here. OK....roses for everyone!!
i don't know why but after i read this post, i laughed and i'm not sure if humour was your intention at all.
It's actually the cusp of winter and spring right now and that always makes people go a little mad one way or another.
The break-up folks I know separated during the DARK days of winter. Gutsy, eh? I can see how post-Valentines, there could be a new slew of people breaking up with the sap starting to run, the winter thaws, Winterlude....
I have nothing clever to add, but I want you to know I love this post.
I think there are two days where people should NOT be allowed to dump their significant others-Valentines Day and New Years eve.
Before and after these dates fine..still sucks for the dumpee but fine. But to do it on the most romantic days of the year, not cool!
Post a Comment