Monday, April 14, 2008

Food break

Here are a few food things I've discovered lately. The change in weather has made me hungry.

1) Turnips: throw a turnip into your boiled potatoes and then mash them all together with salt and butter and you will have something good. I recommend buying a smaller turnip. They are much easier to cut.

2) Brussels Sprouts: they used to make me gag as a child. An ex of mine showed me that you don't have to boil them; you can cut up the little babies and stir fry them. I add ginger (get a jar of the pre-chopped stuff) and a bit of honey and they are delicious. A future posting: cooking tips I learned from my exes....

3) Pickled Eggplant: a lunch with Woodsy at an Italian place got me onto these things. They are ADDICTIVE, an appetite stimulant, and can accompany any meal. Just thinking about pickled eggplant makes me salivate.

7 comments:

Tiana said...

I like to quarter my brussles sprouts and wrap them in tin foil with olive oil and some Montreal steak spice and throw them in the oven or on the BBQ until some of them get a bit brown and crispy.

Anonymous said...

here's a simple and amazing veggie dish: finely grated parsnips roasted in a buttered pan in the oven. o my god

Aggie said...

Ooo... both of these sound o my god.

Woodsy said...

Oh, I feel so honoured... I got you addicted to something!

If you don't have turnips... throw in a few carrots with your potatoes... then same idea... mash with butter, salt, and pepper... true French Cdn food!

bob said...

Nice! I discover brussel sprouts recently too, we normally stir fry em with balsamic vinegar, but theres another simple recipe that calls for thinly sliced pancetta... add bacon to anything and its amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

I make a disturbingly good brussel sprouts with blue cheese dish. (People either love it or hate it; nobody's neutral.)

Will there be another installment of Bakelite soon?

Aggie said...

Woodsy: I'm sure there are other things you could get me addicted to. I'm very....addictive.
Bob: You just made me salivate.
Zoom: I love the idea of "disturbingly good"...