Monday, January 05, 2009

Books/Inspiration needed

I asked for inspirational reading from my blog readership last year and got all kinds of wonderful suggestions.

I'm looking again, folks!

Here are the categories I'm looking for (and the bloggers who might be able to help me out)

environment/environmental justice (Milan? -- can you help me out with this one?)

crafting (Zoom? But please don't make it a knitting book!)

kitten training (Mintyfresh? Please?)

self-help (any of the Irregulars)

general inspiration (XUP? Megan? Stella? Also a Talker? Man of Science? Better Half? Skylark? Tiana? Bob?)

I'm a little bit desperate here folks.

11 comments:

Milan said...

These are all environmentally-related books I highly recommend:

Atwood, Margaret. Oryx and Crake.

McNeill, John. Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth Century

Monbiot, George. Heat: How to Stop the Planet from Burning.

Pollan, Michael. The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World.

Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

Romm, Joseph. Hell and High Water: Global Warming - the Solution and the Politics and What We Should Do.

Vaillant, John. The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed.

Weaver, Andrew. Keeping our Cool: Canada in a Warming World.

Weisman, Alan . The World Without Us.

All the links go to my reviews, though some are more detailed than others. In particular, the Vaillant book really deserves more praise and a comprehensive review.

Aggie said...

Thank you so much, Milan. This will keep me occupied and out of trouble for a while. I just ordered the Vaillant book.

aandjblog said...

General: The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

Knitting: There is one book in particular that I would recommend, unfortunatly, I can't remember the name of it. If you are looking for easy patterns or more vintage style, I would recommend going to VV and looking at the old craft magazines that they have there.

bob said...

Unfortunately all my inspiration comes in the form of my iPhone those days.... what am i saying, its not at all unfortunate, its been an amazing experience for me!! I can't say for certain its for everyone, but let me tell you what i've been able to do with my iPhone that truly is inspiring:
- read your blog ANYWHERE
- navigate from ottawa, to waterloo, cambridge, hamilton, barrie, toronto, and back to and from many different addresses with pinpoint precision (ie "we're under the bridge.... NOW! YES!!)
- have my own personal lightsaber
- check that the recession is finally over via the stocks app (i thought it would never end!!! HA!)
- use speakerphone to talk to rogers and various other services
- read a screenplay
- look up recipes
- take photos of bathrooms that are nasty (of which there will be more, once i actually leave my house)
- play challenging brain/mind puzzle games (level 33 of enigmo!!!)

PS - Not sent from my iPhone :)

Anonymous said...

I was just introduced to this lovely blog http://www.roughingitinthebooks.comThese 2 wonderful women have the most excellent book recommendations that will keep you going for years

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't have anything a'tall in the inspiration or knitting category but read these two older books:

lovely bones and the pilots wife
memoires of a geisha is also pretty good

good luck

Aggie said...

Thanks, all of you, for your wonderful help and recommendations. Bob, I'm a little bit worried about you, but that's ok. I still love you.

Woodsy said...

I am having fun reading Christopher Moore...

http://www.chrismoore.com/christophermoore.html

bob said...

Oh Aggie, don't be worried!!! I'm just engrossed in my work and various high and low tech pursuits at the moment. I still check the pulse of the blogosphere even if my only contributions to it are gnarly posts thru flickr to my blog, but i've always said, a gnarly post is better than gnothing!!!

Jennifer said...

Graphic novel-wise I really enjoyed the Essential Dykes To Watch Out For collection that I got for Christmas. But it's hefty and not very portable. So great to read in one sitting, though, because you can follow the characters' lives from the late eighties until now.

Novel-wise I would also recommend In The Name of Salome. Much more portable and available at the library! A totally gripping and engaging novel about a revolutionary poet mother and her observant, academic daughter in the caribbean. So good.

J.

Milan said...

I forgot to mention Douglas Adams' poingnant and hillarious volume: "Last Chance to See."

It came up in this discussion, over at Hella Stella.