Monday, April 30, 2007

We Built This City

OK, I woke up this Monday morning with Starship's "We Built This City" in my head. Apparently, this song has been considered by some to be one of the worst, if not the worst of all time. And yet, it is spooling through my brain. I don't think it's as bad as they say.

Someone always playing corporation games/Who cares they're always changing
corporation names/We just want to dance here someone stole the stage/They call
us irresponsible write us off the page. Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, dont you remember/ We built this city, we built this city on rock and rollWe built this city, we built this city on rock and roll/Built this city, we built this city on rock
and roll.

5 comments:

coyote said...

Aggie, one word: AUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

Harmony said...

Aggie, to all the music snobs who pan We Built This City, I have two things to say:
(1)anything with Grace Slick singing it sounds good;
(2)OK, you think it's so easy to write a great song? Then let's hear what you've done lately...

coyote said...

1) Even the post/inter-detox Grace?
2) Howl. And a damn sight better'n Grace.

Harmony said...

Wow. What have you got against Grace?

coyote said...

Nuthin', ma'am. Surrealistic Pillow is an icon, White Rabbit is pure psychedelic genius, and I had a huge crush on her when I was a pup.

But We Built This City is banal, overproduced bombast -- a virtual 'how-not-to' of everything that was bad about '80s, uh, rawk.

I think of it as the decade when the always-interesting Ms. Slick self-medicated to the point that she finally started making really bad musical decisions.

As horrific as The old Airplane's 1971 Bark was -- and it was awful, despite what small good the estimable rock critic Lester Bangs claimed to find in it -- it was oodles better than anything Starship did.

Rant over. Excuse me. I need to go self-medicate now.