Friday, December 01, 2006

Intimacy and Christmas

Christmas always poses a challenge for us child-free intimacy avoiders. This year - in an attempt to embrace Christmas and intimacy - I proposed to one of my waiter friends that I send out a photo to friends and family of my cat with reindeer antlers and me (in a Christmas sweater), and perhaps even HIM (also in a Christmas sweater). He was stunned that I proposed such a thing and said, "Aggie, I've never known you to be tacky. What's going on with you?" I responded that I was trying to embrace Christmas, my cat, and our relationship. He looked fearful. "But what's with the sweaters? Are you being ironic? Aren't you just making a mockery of the bourgeois pagan holiday that is Christmas?" I became tearful, and then he dismissed it as some kind female hormone problem.
Another obstacle to intimacy: When people come to know you as an intimacy-avoider, they just get confused when you say you want to pose with them in Christmas sweaters with a cat with reindeer antlers.
Yet another obstacle to intimacy: When people come to know you as an intimacy-avoider, they assume you are taking the piss out of things - ie. Christmas rituals - and are not serious about posing with them in Christmas sweaters with a cat with reindeer antlers.

6 comments:

4th Dwarf said...

If you need reindeer antlers, I have a set to lend you.

4th Dwarf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
4th Dwarf said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
coyote said...

Aggie, I feel your pain. And, may I, um, borrow your cat...?

Harmony said...

Coyote, go open a can of dog food.
Aggie: Christmas a pagan ritual? Well, I can see that we need some sort of spiritual retreat here. See my thoughts re: Christmas, and cookies, and carols, and warm, nice-smelling baking. As for the whole intimacy thing...er, I already told you what I thought about the need for more drinking. We really need to solve this...umm....let me see...OK, I've got it! Lots of people drink heavily over the pagan Christmas period. Let's join them! And bring the cat, for sure. That way, we KNOW Coyote will show up...

coyote said...

Dogfood?!

Harmony, I am a sensitive coyote -- the Short Guy said so -- and you wound me deeply! The Semi-Mythical Animistic Semi-Totemic Coyote Intimacy Challenge (SMASTIC) involves taking a cat out to lunch. I can think of nothing warmer and fuzzier, or more festive, myself...