"Do something you are afraid of...." This was the message I saw on a Lululemon tote bag someone was wielding at my yoga class. I am against that statement. Yeah yeah, I know our fears get in the way of INTIMACY blah blah blah...And, our fears can get in the way of being NICE, blah blah blah...And, fear gets in the way of our defending the oppressed, blah blah blah.
But, I think PRIDE is the real problem - remember PRIDE, one of the 7 Deadly Sins?
There are plenty of examples of how good, healthy fear can keep us out of trouble. I'm compiling a list right now.
When I looked up from the Lululemon tote into the face of its owner, I recognized an old university mate. She actually didn't look old at all; she looked EXACTLY the same. I introduced myself to her. She didn't recognize me. I couldn't remember her name, only the unkind name assigned to her by me and my other college mates: the Gap. That was before The Gap, the store became popular. I won't explain why we called her the Gap because it's not very nice.
2 comments:
No need to explain "the gap", Aggie, I'm sure we all know that it referred to the loose tops she wore.
I do remember Pride. But what of Avarice?
Anyway, point taken, Agster.
Dwarf: I can think of other things "the gap" could have referred to. I do recall one of my own university classmates using it unkindly when speaking of another woman she was jealous of...
Post a Comment