Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Riffin' on Dwarfie's Gig

Coyote is the ESI Poet Laureate. 4th Dwarf, however, is a poet in his own right. His Google-inspired poems are brilliant.
Today I decided to riff on Dwarfie's gig and write a google-inspired poem called "I Escaped". I'm thinking of putting it to music, perhaps with the help of Harmony and her rock star friends.

I Escaped

I escaped with my morals intact
and hell, only to go back again

I escaped for a while,
unscathed,
from hospital in a taxi
insanity

the noise of the city
from hard drive hell (again)
by the skin of my teeth.

I escaped from my certain fate
from Alcatraz
from Auschwitz
from Gilligan's Island.

I escaped for a short while
this afternoon,
from Ward 13 just to write this
only by the grace of God.

I escaped being eaten by a pelican
from a 12-year nervous breakdown
with 60 dollars
to breathe ocean air.

8 comments:

Harmony said...

I'll get right to work on this Aggie. That is, if I ever get my guitar back from repairs. Oh, and if my hands ever heal...I keep reinjuring them.
Well, the tune is already forming in my head. I'll just have to wait (more waiting) to get it down on a staff.

coyote said...

Good riff! And what a coincidence! I narrowly escaped bein' eaten by a pelican once, too! Long story. Big thing. Nasty pointy teeth....

WFKA5M said...

Love it.

Harmony said...

Hold on there doggie. I remember that incident, and by the number of feathers flying around, I DO believe it was the pelican that needed to escape, but didn't quite...

coyote said...

My story, and I'm stickin' to it....

4th Dwarf said...

Aggie, I don't mind you riffin on my gig, except when you do it better!

Why didn't I think of "I escaped"?

Do you s'pose that psychisticians might conclude something about our inner workings by what phrases we google-poem?

[p.s. How do I know yours is better? (a) more comments; (b) Harmony is going to put yours to music, not mine; (c) wfka5m loves yours, not mine.]

Anonymous said...

I think this is brilliant: the idea and the poetry.

I tried to do one last night, but I couldn't invoke closure...I just kept googling, page after page, late into the night, cutting and pasting the phrases into a crazy long list.

I think I need instructions. How do I turn my list into poetry?

Aggie said...

I wrote a bunch of them down. Then I sort of grouped them together and called it a poem. I am not sure what 4th Dwarf's process is....