Sunday, January 06, 2008

Elizabeth *ay

Confession: I just realized that I thought Elizabeth May, head of the Green Party, was also Elizabeth Hay, the writer. I thought Elizabeth May must be some kind of goddess -- to lead the Green Party, and to churn out award-winning novels.
The following conversation alerted me to my error:

Person: Do you like Elizabeth Hay?
Me: I don't know her novels. But, I want to read her latest....I'm just amazed this woman has time to do what she does.
Person: Huh? What else does she do?
Me: Come on! Are you joking? Imagine the hours she puts in as leader of the Green Party.
Person: (Laughter.......Guffaws)... Oh Aggie dear, you are having another one of your dyslexic moments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were not completely wrong Aggie... Elizabeth May is also an author... She wrote five books: Budworm Battles (1982), Paradise Won: The Struggle to Save South Moresby (1990), At the Cutting Edge: The Crisis in Canada’s Forests (Key Porter Books, 1998, as well as a major new edition in 2004), co-authored with Maude Barlow, Frederick Street; Life and Death on Canada’s Love Canal (Harper Collins, 2000), and most recently, How to Save the World in Your Spare Time (Key Porter Books, 2006).

coyote said...

Yeah, s'okay, Ags.

For awhile, I somehow merged Elizabeth Hay (although not May) with Elizabeth Smart (By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept). That some less-loopy (lupine?) corner of my doggy brain totally knew that ES died, like, 20 years ago, did not sway this fallacy.

But when the guffawing rabble call you dyslexic, just rebut: you exist in several space-time continuums at once, so it's true somewhere...

Aggie said...

Thanks both of you for making me feel better.