Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I need a book

I need a book. What I'm looking for is.... something to break the chill and boredom of January, something that will change me, something that will help me, something that is readable, something that will inspire me.
I was going to make this a contest-- like you get "dinner with Aggie at the Usual Spot" if you recommend the winning book. But, I don't want to have dinner with you. I just want to read the book.

11 comments:

Andrea... said...

All Families Are Psychotic - Douglad Coupland

I loved it. Inspiring in a bizarre sort of way. Very entertaining.

aandjblog said...

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life - Steven Martin

It looks pretty interesting and funny. :)

Aggie said...

Thanks for both of these. I'm so glad you didn't tell me I need to read The Secret....

Anonymous said...

Woodsy is reading Delta of Venus Erotica by Anais Nin... it's important to read the preface to understand the context of her stories...

coyote said...

Aggie, you so need to read The Secret right now because it will change your life and lead you to untold riches!

If
you like craplatitudes.

How 'bout I suggest instead The Black Book - intriguing and subtle eastern mystery set in Istanbul, by Orhan Pamuk, Turkish winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature?

Anonymous said...

Trout Fishing in America by Richard Brautigan. Sadness by Donald Barthelme. Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen.

Anonymous said...

Aggie, I know you would enjoy The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls.

Aggie said...

This is all great. Keep them coming!

Jennifer said...

My Life in France by Julia Child was the greatest and most inspiring book I read last year, which kind of surprised me. I also loved Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and Centre of Everything by Laura Moriarty.

Aggie said...

Thanks, Jo. The Julia Child one sounds like it might be exactly what I need right now!

Anonymous said...

Sister Crazy by Emma Richler (daughter of Mordecai). She writes a thousand times better then her father ever did... very, very beautiful, touching story. Book two, Feed My Dear Dogs, is a masterpiece... in my not so humble opinion.