Sunday, October 14, 2007

Craft People are Nuts

Many craft people are absolutely fucking nuts. If they didn't have their crafts, they might be in institutions, which, I guess is where many craft people used to end up: in the basket weaving ward. I met an avid knitter yesterday, and realized that she was absolutely insane. She had about 6 knitting projects on the go. She had just spent $500 on Baby Alpaca yarn, which she insisted on sticking right in my face so that I could feel it. She couldn't stop talking about knitting. She started pulling out all of her knitting patterns to convince me to pick one. When I told her I was more interested in sewing at the moment, she led me to her $3000 Pfaff Sewing machine, which is currently collecting dust because of, well, all the knitting.
Some craft people go really really nuts and open up businesses to feed their particular crafty obsession. I met a woman like this who runs this spectacular button store. If you are looking for buttons, this is the place to go. She is nuts. A neighbourhood little girl came in when I was in the store to chat with the woman. After the kid left, the button lady said about the girl, 'I guess she is in love with me because I own a button store, and that must be pretty cool.' Yes, or maybe because you are nuts!

4 comments:

XUP said...

Anybody who's that obsessed with any single given thing is bound to be nuts. Which is why I was concerned about you casting off your entire life to become a craft blogger. Glad to see you are still able to converse with great wit about yoga and magazines and buttons and crazy people.

aandjblog said...

I don't know how to cast off :(

Aggie said...

How to cast off. This is the problem I have with knitting. I have a box in storage of knitting pieces held in captivity by needles becuase of this very problem...

coyote said...

So, ma'am, if craft people are necessarily nuts, and you have decided to become a craft people, that means...?