Tuesday, October 16, 2007

"Owning" things

A good friend of mine helped me work through the writing hell situation of yesterday. She said, "Listen, Aggie. You need to own this part of the writing process, even though it's not as much fun as other parts of the process." She laughed at her use of the word "own" here -- because she's not a person who would normally say this kind of thing. I meditated on it, and I think she is dead on. So, today, I'm in the library owning the fucking thing. Unfortunately, there seems to be some kind of power outage here in the library, which may mean that I may have to own it elsewhere. So, a message to all of you struggling with writing, or any other crap you are going through: own it!

And, totally unrelated, (but probably related somehow in the grand scheme of things), here is a sweet image I witnessed today: a beautiful grey/silver cat sitting under a tree watching yellow leaves parachute down.

4 comments:

XUP said...

Very good. It's sort of a variation on the oft trotted out, but very wise Serenity poem thingee -- accepting the things one cannot change. That's so difficult, especially for those of us who feel we should be able to do everything and anything. I also love the cat image -- I saw a little dog rolling in the leaves yesterday at lunch. He was having such a good time, it made my day, though I wished I could have joined him.

4th Dwarf said...

If you "own" this struggle, does that mean you can sell it or give it away?

Aggie said...

That is so true...Thank you 4D! I could pull a Zoom!!!

coyote said...

It's a bit like walking, ma'am. Settin' one foot in front of another is a drag, feet get sore, but getting there can be worth it. And each step is only a step, after all. (And most of us'd rather freakin' ride if we could...)