Saturday, November 24, 2007

Heaven's to Etsy!

Now that I am a craft person, I have to come to realize that it's all about Etsy. If you thought the Ottawa Christmas Craft Sale was a zoo, check out all the crap on the Etsy. Yes, I am into the whole alternative marketplace thing, but....Holy Shit! Is it just a way for people to fund their craft obsessions? Clearly, I need some Etsy-savvy person to explain all of this me. Help! Please give me some analysis.

3 comments:

Andrea... said...

I don't know if I'll be able to explain much.... But having just purchased a shitload of Christmas present on Etsy, I do have some experience with this crazy site.

Yes, just about any hack with a glue gun can set up a 'shop' there, but only the great ones make money. For example, there are loads of amazing visual artists that make high quality prints of their paintings and sell them on Etsy for $15 or $20. For me? Awesome deal. And I wouldn't have found out about their work otherwise. Usually I hear about an Etsy shop from a good craft blog, so I don't have to go sifting through thousands of pages to find something decent. Right now I'm hooked on the Sea Spray Blue shop.

Helpful at all? Perhaps? As of today, I've bought eight things off Etsy for Christmas, and I've saved a hundred bucks or so on more expensive gifts I was going to pick up in town.

Aggie said...

That's helpful, Andrea. Can you direct me to some other good Etsy shops?

Andrea... said...

I thought you would never ask! Here are some of my favourites:

handmaid
orangewillow
johnwgolden
dazeychic
paulchung
ahpeele
applebananacantaloup (they're local!)
ilee
swallowfield
jenoaks
circaceramics
geninne

Enjoy!